December 18, 2018
“Either you run the day, or the day runs you.”
I was asked recently to take on a task that would have committed me to an important responsibility that would have been difficult for me to do. I did the responsible thing, I said no. It took me a long time to learn that I must manage my time and activities in a way that I could be effective and capable of doing what I wanted to do.
Saying no is often difficult to do, but saying yes just can be distressing. Even in my new environment I find that managing my time is something I must take responsibility for if I am going to be able to balance happiness with the chores I have taken on.
Here is an abridged article whose advice we all could use.
Things you must quit doing now to be more successful
Knowing when to quit is a skill that can be learned. If you tend to get stuck on things long after it’s obvious that what you’re doing isn’t working, you can train yourself to do better. Here are some things we should all quit doing.
- Quit doubting yourself – Confidence plays a huge role in success. Sometimes confidence is all it takes to reach that next level. The trick is, you have to believe it. If you doubt yourself, it won’t work. Faking confidence just doesn’t produce the same results.
- Quit putting things off – Change is hard. Self-improvement is hard. Scrounging up the guts to go for what you want is hard, and so is the work to make it happen. When things are hard, it’s always easier to decide to tackle them tomorrow. The problem is that tomorrow never comes.
- Quit thinking you have no choice
There’s always a choice. Sure, sometimes it’s a choice between two things that seem equally bad, but there’s still a choice. Pretending that there isn’t one makes you a victim who is voluntarily taking on a mantle of helplessness.
- Quit doing the same thing over and over again and expecting a different result –
The fact is simple: if you keep the same approach, you’ll keep getting the same results, no matter how much you hope for the opposite. If you want different results, you need to change your approach, even when it’s painful to do so.
- Quit thinking everything is going to work out on its own – It’s tempting to think that it’s all going to work out in the end, but the truth is that you have to make it work. Everything is not going to magically work out on its own; you have to be proactive and take responsibility for yourself.
- Quit saying “yes” – Every “yes” you utter is a tradeoff. By saying “yes” to one thing, you’re saying “no” to something else. Saying “no” is indeed a major challenge for many people. No is a powerful word that you should not be afraid to wield. Saying “no” to a new commitment honors your existing commitments and gives you the opportunity to successfully fulfill them. When you learn to say “no,” you free yourself from unnecessary constraints and free up your time and energy for the important things in life.
“Time is free, but it’s priceless. You can’t own it, but you can use it. You can’t keep it, but you can spend it. Once you’ve lost it you can never get it back.”
The Doctor says “You’ll live to be 60!” “I AM 60!” “See, what did I tell you?”
Because I’m a man, when one of our appliances stops working I will insist on taking it apart, despite evidence that this will just cost me twice as much once the repair person gets here and has to put it back together.
Because I’m a man, I must hold the television remote control in my hand while I watch TV. If the thing has been misplaced, I may miss a whole show looking for it (though one time I was able to survive by holding a calculator).
Because I’m a man, I don’t think we’re all that lost, and no, I don’t think we should stop and ask someone. Why would you listen to a complete stranger — I mean, how the hell could he know where we’re going?
An alibi is the legal proof that a person wasn’t where he was and, therefore, couldn’t do what he did.
“How was your blind date?” a college student asked her roommate.
“Terrible!” the roommate answered. “He showed up in his 1932 Rolls Royce.”
“Wow! That’s a very expensive car. What’s so bad about that?”
“He was the original owner.”
A psychiatrist was trying to comfort a new patient who was terribly upset. “You see, Doc,” the patient explained, “my problem is that I like shoes much better than I like boots.”
“Why, that’s no problem,” answered the doctor. “Most people like shoes better than boots.”
The patient was elated, “That’s neat, Doc. How do you like them, fried or scrambled?”
You’re Just Jealous Because The Voices Are Talking To Me
A busy mother sometimes accidentally left pots and pans on the stove with the burners on, so she resorted to posting this reminder on the kitchen door: “STOVE?”
Her daughter, back from college, noticed Mother’s sign. Beneath it she taped her reply: “No — DOOR! Trust me. I went to college.”
The Earth Is Full – Go Home
A couple of young fellers were fishing at their special pond off the beaten track when out of the bushes jumped the Game Warden.
Immediately, one of the boys threw his rod down and started running through the woods like everything, and hot on his heels came the Game Warden.
After about a half mile the fella stopped and stooped over with his hands on his thighs to catch his breath and the Game Warden finally caught up to him…
“Lets see yer fishin’ license, Boy!!” the Warden gasped.
With that, the fella pulled out his wallet and gave the Game Warden a valid fishing license.
“Well, son,” said the Game Warden, “you must be about as dumb as a box of rocks! You don’t have to run from me if you have a valid license!”
“Yes, sir,” replied the young feller, “But my friend back there, well, he doesn’t have one…”
“We must use time wisely and forever realize that the time is always ripe to do right.”
Management is not responsible for duplicates from previous dailies. The editor is somewhat senile.
Ray’s Daily has been sent for more than fifteen years to people who want to start their day on an upbeat. If you have system overload because of our daily clutter, let me know and I will send you the information via mental telepathy. If you have not been getting our daily you can request to be added by e-mailing me at email@example.com. Back issues are posted at http://rays-daily,com/ currently there are more than 2000 readers from around the world.