August 3, 2022
We need to feel the cheer and inspiration of meeting each other, we need to gain the courage and fresh life that comes from the mingling of congenial souls, of those working for the same ends.
Josephine St. Pierre Ruffin
As time goes by I continually realize how important it is that we earn the goodwill of others. Our world is a dreary place if we face each day alone. It is those we care for and who care for us that keep us from withering in isolation. So to each of you I am grateful for your friendship fo without you my days would be bleak.
The following commitments can help us to be worthy friends,
- To be so strong that nothing can disturb your peace of mind.
- To talk health, happiness, and prosperity to every person you meet.
- To make all your friends feel that there is something in them.
- To look at the sunny side of everything and make your optimism come true.
- To think only the best, to work only for the best, and to expect only the best.
- To be just as enthusiastic about the success of others as you are about your own.
- To forget the mistakes of the past and press on to the greater achievements of the future.
- To wear a cheerful countenance at all times and give every living creature you meet a smile.
- To give so much time to the improvement of yourself that you have no time to criticize others.
- To be too large for worry, too noble for anger, too strong for fear; and too happy to permit the presence of trouble.
- To think well of yourself and to proclaim this fact to the world, not in loud words, but in great deeds.
- To live in the faith that the whole world is on your side so long as you are true to the best that is in you.
We need Joy as we need air. We need Love as we need water. We need each other as we need the earth we share.
For many of you this will not mean much. For myself and any others that served in the Navy in the fifties this is exactly as it was then.
How to Simulate The Life Of A Sailor. . .
· Buy a steel dumpster, paint it gray inside & out, & live in it for 6 months.
· Repaint your entire house every month.
· Raise the thresholds & lower the headers of your front & back doors so that you either trip or bang your head every time you pass through them.
· On Mondays, Wednesdays, & Fridays, turn your water heater temperature up to 200 degrees. On Tuesdays & Thursdays, turn the water heater off. On Saturdays & Sundays tell your family they use too much water during the week, so no bathing will be allowed.
· Raise your bed to within 6 inches of the ceiling, so you can’t turn over without getting out & then getting back in.
· Have your neighbor come over each day at 5 am, blow a whistle loudly, & shout “Reveille, reveille, all hands heave out & trice up.”
· Empty all the garbage bins in your house & sweep the driveway three times a day, whether it needs it or not.
· Post a menu on the kitchen door informing your family that they are having steak for dinner. Then make them wait in line for an hour. When they finally get to the kitchen, tell them you are out of steak, but they can have dried ham or hot dogs. Repeat daily until they ignore the menu & just ask for hot dogs.
· Set your alarm clock to go off at random times during the night. At the alarm, jump up & dress as fast as you can, making sure to button your top shirt button & tuck your pants into your socks. Run out into the backyard & uncoil the garden hose.
· Make coffee using eighteen scoops of budget-priced coffee grounds per pot, & allow the pot to simmer for 5 hours before drinking.
May you live as long as you want, and never want as long as you live.
Down in the south, there are many churches known as “answer back” churches. When the preacher says something, the congregation naturally replies.
One Sunday, a preacher was speaking on what it would take for the church to become better.
He said “If this church is to become better, it must take up it’s bed, and walk.”
The congregation said “Let it walk, Preacher, let it walk.”
Encouraged by their response, he went further.
“If this church is going to become better, it will have to throw aside it’s hindrances and run!”
The congregation replied,
“Let it run, preacher, let it run!”
Now really into his message, he spoke stronger.
“If this church really wants to become great, it will have to take up it’s wings and fly!”
“Let it fly, Preacher, let it fly!” the congregation shouts.
The Preacher gets louder.
“If this church is going to fly, it will cost money!”
The congregation replied. “Let it walk, Preacher, let it walk.”
A mother may hope that her daughter will get a better husband that she did, but she knows her son will never get as good a wife as his father did.
Father O’Malley answers the phone:
“Hello, is this Father O’Malley?”
“This is the IRS. Can you help us?”
“Do you know a Ted Houlihan?”
“Is he a member of your congregation?”
“Did he donate $10,000 to the church?”
Each one of us has lived through some devastation, some loneliness, some weather superstorm or spiritual superstorm, when we look at each other we must say, I understand. I understand how you feel because I have been there myself. We must support each other and empathize with each other because each of us is more alike than we are unalike.
Management is not responsible for duplicates from previous dailies. The editor is somewhat senile.
Ray’s Daily has been sent for more than twenty years to people who want to start their day on an upbeat. If you have system overload because of our daily clutter, let me know and I will send you the information via mental telepathy. If you have not been getting our daily you can request to be added by e-mailing me at firstname.lastname@example.org. Back issues are posted at http://rays-daily,com/ currently there are hundreds of readers from around the world.
Leave a Reply