May 20, 2020
Only a life lived for others is a life worthwhile.
These have been the worst of times for millions. Too many have become infected with the Corona Virus and thousands have died of the illness, In my country we are on the verge of removing some of the health restrictions as we open the economy.
We need to put people back to work, millions are currently without jobs, there has not been this much unemployment since the great depression. Many go hungry and depend on food pantries, in the depression we had soup kitchens. Many have little if any health care.
Now we will help some while others will lose their lives as we open up and put more at risk of infection.
It is up to us to do what we can for ourselves and for others. Over the years I have had an active role in helping to solve many of the days issues and now I find myself with little I can do, but I can do something. The article below offers suggestions as to what we all can do.
The Top 10 Things to Give This Year
by Deborah Brown-Volkman
- Your Time. – How many of you are too busy with you own lives to give your time to others? Being busy is an excuse and a reason not to go out of your way. People need you and love you. They want to see you. Let them in. Let them have time with you.
- Your Support. – How many of you really support the people in your life? What I mean by support is encouragement and reasons to try something new, not 10 different reasons why it won’t work. Just because it didn’t work for you, doesn’t mean it won’t work for them. And, just because it didn’t work for them in the past, doesn’t mean that it won’t work this time. There’s nothing better than telling a person that they can do whatever they want in this world.
- Your Acceptance. – This may be a toughie for some of you. This means unconditional love and the ability to love someone for who they are and not what you want them to be. It means giving up how you think their life should go, and accepting them for what they want to do with their lives. This is the greatest gift that you can give to the people in your life.
- Your Attention. – How many of you really listen to the people in your life? For everyone who just said “of course I do,” then why are the people in your life asking you to repeat what they just said? It’s because they know that you didn’t hear them. Take a few minutes, stop what you are doing, and focus on the people who you love. Aren’t they worth it? And who knows, you may even learn something that you thought you already knew.
- Your Forgiveness. – Forgiving people for past mistakes and hurts is one of the greatest gifts you can give them. After all they are only human. Plus, I’m sure that you haven’t been the perfect human being either. Keeping hurt and anger in your life is just an excuse not to get close to people for fear that they will hurt you again.
- Your Patience. – How many of you can’t even be with the people you love because they are taking too long to tell a story or are taking longer that “you think” to complete a project that you think should take less time to get done. How do you know that there isn’t a better way to do something if the people around you always have to do it your way? Having patience with people shows them that they are respected and loved. Isn’t this a great gift to give for the holidays?
- Your Love. – People want to know that they are special in your life and that you care about them. If there are things that are keeping you from loving them such as conversations that you want to have with them, but you’re afraid, my advice is to say it. Sometimes you have to take a risk to achieve an open and rewarding relationship. Take the risk and give your love.
- Your Ideas. – Sometimes people want to move forward in their lives but they don’t know how. You may know something that they never thought of. And who knows, your ideas may change somebody’s life. So go ahead, don’t be afraid to share what you know.
- Your Smile. – here is nothing better that entering a room and seeing someone smile when you walk in. Right then and there you know that your presence makes a difference in their life. A smile is easy. You just grin upward. Plus, you burn many more calories than from frowning.
- A Hug. – Human touch warms the heart and keeps us connected. In addition, it doesn’t take much effort, it costs nothing, and it makes someone’s day. Couldn’t you find time in your schedule to hug someone you love today?
Show me someone who has done something worthwhile, and I’ll show you someone who has overcome adversity.
Any woman can have the body of a 21-year-old……..as long as she buys him a few drinks first.
My memory’s not as sharp as it used to be. Also, my memory’s not as sharp as it used to be.
Know how to prevent sagging? Just eat ’til the wrinkles fill out.
I’ve still got it, but nobody wants to see it.
I’m getting into swing dancing. Not on purpose Some parts of my body are just prone to swinging.
It’s scary when you start making the same noises as your coffeemaker.
I think I’ve reached my sexpiration date.
People our age can still enjoy an active passionate sex life! Provided we get that cable or dish thing.
The good news is, that even as we get older, guys still look at our boobs. The bad news is, they have to squat down first.
These days, about half the stuff in my shopping cart says, “For fast relief”.
I’ve tried to find a suitable exercise video for women my age, but they haven’t made one called “Buns of Putty”.
Don’t think of it as getting hot flashes. Think of it as your inner child playing with matches.
Don’t let aging get you down. It’s too hard to get back up.
Remember: you don’t stop laughing because you grow old, you grow old because you stop laughing.
Minds are like parachutes, they only function when open.
Late one Friday night, I was awakened by the ringing of my phone…In a sleepy grumpy voice I said, “Hello.”
The party on the other end of the line paused for a moment before rushing breathlessly into a lengthy speech.
“OK… Mom, this is Marsha and I’m sorry I woke you up, but I had to call because I’m going to be a little late getting home. See, Daddy’s car has a flat but it’s not my fault. Really! I don’t know what happened. The tire just went flat while John and I were inside the theater. Please don’t be mad, okay?”
Since I don’t have any daughters, I knew the person had misdialed. “I’m sorry dear, “I replied, “but you’ve reached the wrong number. I don’t have a daughter named Marsha.”
“Come on, Mom,” pleaded the young woman’s voice, “I didn’t think you’d be this mad.”
“If you haven’t got anything nice to say about anybody, come sit next to me.”
Alice Roosevelt Longworth
“I had the toughest time of my life. First, I got angina pectoris and then arteriosclerosis. Just as I was recovering from these, I got tuberculosis, double pneumonia and phthisis. Then they gave me hypodermics. Appendicitis was followed by tonsillectomy. These gave way to aphasia and hypertrophic cirrhosis. I completely lost my memory for a while. I know I had diabetes and acute ingestion, besides gastritis, rheumatism, lumbago and neuritis. I don’t know how I pulled through it. It was the hardest spelling test I’ve ever had.”
Laugh alone and the world thinks you’re an idiot.
A cat dies and goes to Heaven. God meets him at the gate and says, “You have been a good cat all of these years. Anything you desire is yours, all you have to do is ask.”
The cats says, “Well, I lived all my life with a poor family on a farm and had to sleep on hardwood floors.”
God says, “Say no more.” And instantly, a fluffy pillow appears.
A few days later, 6 mice are killed in a tragic accident and they go to Heaven. God meets them at the gate with the same offer that He made the cat. The mice said, “All our lives we’ve had to run. Cats, dogs and even women with brooms have chased us. If we could only have a pair of roller skates, we wouldn’t have to run anymore.”
God says, “Say no more.” And instantly, each mouse is fitted with a beautiful pair of tiny roller skates.
About a week later, God decides to check and see how the cat is doing. The cat is sound asleep on his new pillow. God gently wakes him and asks, “How are you doing? Are you happy here?”
The cat yawns and stretches and says, “Oh, I’ve never been happier in my life. And those Meals on Wheels you’ve been sending over are the best!”
A man can be as great as he wants to be. If you believe in yourself and have the courage, the determination, the dedication, the competitive drive and if you are willing to sacrifice the little things in life and pay the price for the things that are worthwhile, it can be done.
Management is not responsible for duplicates from previous dailies. The editor is somewhat senile.
Ray’s Daily has been sent for more than fifteen years to people who want to start their day on an upbeat. If you have system overload because of our daily clutter, let me know and I will send you the information via mental telepathy. If you have not been getting our daily you can request to be added by e-mailing me at firstname.lastname@example.org. Back issues are posted at http://rays-daily,com/ currently there are more than 2000 readers from around the world.
Leave a Reply