March 6, 2020
“Happiness depends upon ourselves.”
I don’t know about you but I think the Coronavirus epidemic and the stock market losses have the potential to get us down. It is not going to help if we add to the problems by joining those who are sure we all will be infected and share their belief with others.
I don’t mean to underestimate the seriousness of the problems, but I don’t want us to lose our ability to find happiness. I think the best antidote for the dark days is to find ways to embrace those things that can brighten your day
Here is an abridged article that suggests how we can open our minds to unleashing our own happiness.
11 Keys to Constant Happiness
by Hale Dwoskin
- Look for happiness in the right place. – We spend most of our time looking for happiness in all the wrong places. If you simply look within, you can discover the source of unlimited happiness now.
- Stop rushing past life. – Have the attitude of, “I have all the time in the world,” even when working on a deadline. You will not only feel happier but you will get things done more easily and quickly.
- Let go! – Most of us spend way too much time holding onto what was. If you let go of what was, and stop dragging it into the present or projecting it into the future, you can enjoy what is now.
- Accept what is. – If you just let go of wanting to change what is as best you can, even for a moment, you are immediately happier.
- Give from your heart. – The giver is truly blessed. Whenever you give without wanting anything in return, even if it is just an understanding ear, you are instantly happier.
- Give love instead of trying to get it. – If you look for others to give you love, you will often be unhappy. However, if you allow yourself to be as loving as you can for no reason at all, you will instantly feel happier.
- Be present with what is. – If you are simply present with whatever you are experiencing now, as opposed to what was or what might be, you will find there is no end to your happiness.
- Live life wide open. – Even if there are supposed threats around you, when you close off from your environment, you are only locking in suffering and holding away happiness.
- Pick agreements. – If you look for things to agree with just as they are, you can find them, even at your darkest hour. Every time you pick an agreement with what is in your experience, you experience more happiness.
- Expand your awareness.- As you expand your awareness, you expand your ability to feel happy. You can do this quite simply by allowing your awareness to be as contracted as it is and as expanded as it is.
- Accept the possibility of Happiness now. – Most of us are waiting for something to change in order to give us an excuse to be happy. If we decide it is possible to be happy, whether or not that something ever changes, we can become happy now.
“To be kind to all, to like many and love a few, to be needed and wanted by those we love, is certainly the nearest we can come to happiness.”
The phone rings at KGB headquarters. “Hello?” “Hello, is this KGB?”
“Yes. What do you want?” “I’m calling to report my neighbor Yankel Rabinovitz as an enemy of the State. He is hiding undeclared diamonds in his firewood.”
“This will be noted.” Next day, the KGB goons come over to Rabinovitz’s house. They search the shed where the firewood is kept, break every piece of wood, find no diamonds, swear at Yankel Rabinovitz and leave.
The phone rings at Rabinovitz’s house. “Hello, Yankel! Did the KGB come?” “Yes.”
“Did they chop your firewood?” “Yes, they did.”
“Okay, now it’s your turn to call. I need my vegetable patch plowed.”
I believe you should live each day as if it is your last, which is why I don’t have any clean laundry because, come on, who wants to wash clothes on the last day of their life?
Diana says she is glad she is a woman because:
- We got off the Titanic first.
We can scare male bosses with mysterious gynecological disorder excuses.
Taxis stop for us.
We don’t look like a frog in a blender when dancing.
No fashion faux pas we make could ever rival the Speedo.
We don’t have to pass gas to amuse ourselves.
If we forget to shave, no one has to know.
We can congratulate our teammate without ever touching her rear.
We never have to reach down every so often to make sure our privates are still there.
We have the ability to dress ourselves.
We can talk to people of the opposite sex without having to picture them naked.
If we marry someone 20 years younger, we’re aware that we look like an idiot.
There are times when chocolate really can solve all our problems.
We’ll never regret piercing our ears.
We can make comments about how silly men are in their presence, because they aren’t listening anyway.
Never put off until tomorrow what you can avoid altogether.
A Texas millionaire had fallen ill. Doctors consulted did not seem to understand what ailed him. The millionaire let it be known that any doctor who could heal him could have whatever he desired. A country doctor was able to cure him and as the doctor was leaving after a week’s stay, the Texan said, “Doc! I am a man of my word. You name it and if it is humanly possible I’ll get it for you.”
“Well,” said the doctor, “I love to play golf, so if I could have a matching set of golf clubs that would be fine.”
With that the doctor left. The doctor didn’t hear from the Texan millionaire for some months. Then one day he got a phone call from the millionaire.
“Doc, I bet you thought that I had gone back on my word. I have your matching set of golf clubs. The reason it took so long is that two of them didn’t have swimming pools and I didn’t think they were good enough for ya. So I had pools installed and they’re all ready for you now!”
Lovka’s Dilemma: You never get away, you only get someplace else.
On a stifling hot day, a man fainted in the middle of a busy intersection. As traffic began to pile up in all directions, a woman rushed to help him. As she knelt down to loosen his collar, a man emerged from the crowd, pushed her aside, and said, “It’s all right, honey. I’ve had a course in first aid.”
She stood up and watched as he took the man’s pulse and prepared to administer artificial respiration. Then she tapped him on the shoulder. “When you get to the part about calling a doctor,” she said, “I’m already here.”
Too bad the only people who know how to run the country are busy driving cabs and cutting hair.
I come from a large family, five sisters and three brothers. My sisters and I were looking through the family photo album one day. Picture after picture, we were all dressed in matching clothes. I asked my mother why she dressed us all alike, right down to the baby.
She explained, “When we had just four children, I dressed you alike so we wouldn’t lose any of you. Then,” she added, looking at the pictures in the album, “when as other five came along, I started dressing you alike so we won’t pick up any that don’t belong to us.”
I am willing to make the mistakes if someone else is willing to learn from them.
An English teacher spent a lot of time marking grammatical errors in her students’ written work. One overly busy day she sat at her desk rubbing her temples.
A student asked, “What’s the matter, Mrs. Sheridan?”
“Tense,” she replied, describing her emotional state.
After a slight pause the student tried again, “Er… What was the matter? What has been the matter? What might have been the matter?”
“Don’t rely on someone else for your happiness and self-worth. Only you can be responsible for that. If you can’t love and respect yourself – no one else will be able to make that happen. Accept who you are – completely; the good and the bad – and make changes as YOU see fit – not because you think someone else wants you to be different.”
Management is not responsible for duplicates from previous dailies. The editor is somewhat senile.
Ray’s Daily has been sent for more than fifteen years to people who want to start their day on an upbeat. If you have system overload because of our daily clutter, let me know and I will send you the information via mental telepathy. If you have not been getting our daily you can request to be added by e-mailing me at email@example.com. Back issues are posted at http://rays-daily,com/ currently there are more than 2000 readers from around the world.