December 27, 2019
You live in paradise but you just don’t realize it.
– Muktananda, found
I have a friend who has learned how to enjoy her life by appreciating the little things that too many of us overlook. My friend often agonizes over the turmoil and even cruelty that is so rampant these days. In fact I don’t think anyone I know takes the strident attacks on those we disagree with than my friend.
What does make her special is her ability to enthusiastically appreciate the small pleasures in life. In her case it might be a recent concert, a pretty day or the greeting from a stranger. These pleasures offset the distress created by other events and allows her to view the future with hope.
We all would benefit if we appreciated the little things in our lives more than we do. Here is an abridged list of techniques that will help us live happier lives from the Skills We Need blog.
How to Learn the Art of Appreciating the Little Things in Life
You live in paradise but you just don’t realize it. We all have so many blessings in our lives. And yet most of the time we fail to notice them. We don’t recognize them properly, forget them, or simply take them for granted. We lose sight of them, and that’s a critical mistake.
In reality, these little things have a huge impact on our lives. That’s why we should learn to recognize their value. Here’s a complete guide to learning the art of appreciating the little things in life.
- a) Keep a gratitude journal – It’s worth keeping a gratitude journal. Research shows that individuals who have such journals for recording daily blessings have a more optimistic view of their lives, experience more positive mood, and even exercise more.
- b) Create a bulletin board – This is where you can put up small reminders of things that make you feel grateful. It can be anything from a thank-you note from a client to a handwritten letter from a friend.
- c) Celebrate the little things – Give yourself permission to do that. Here’s how you can celebrate your small wins in life: Celebrate good weather by taking out a friend and going for a walk; Celebrate getting through a daunting task with doing something you enjoy.
- d) Send one email of gratitude a day – Make it a habit to send out one thank-you email to someone every single day. It doesn’t have to be more than one sentence.
- e) Slow down your life – When you’re in the middle of an amazing event, it’s important that you savor it as much as you can.
- f) Be present – Choose to be present in the now. This type of consciousness of the moment – sometimes called mindfulness – is critical to generating positive emotions that come with gratitude. When you’re living with more awareness, you notice everything – even the little pieces of everyday beauty.
- g) Be aware of your most valued things – Imagine that someone asks you about the most important things in life. You need to have a clear answer to this question. If you don’t, it’s a sign that you’re out of touch with yourself. Connect to what’s important to you and don’t put it off until life gets less busy. Trust me, it never does.
- h) Fall asleep with gratitude – Ideally, you should wake up and go to bed with gratitude at the forefront of your mind. Starting and finishing your day with positive emotions helps to build a balanced life and gets you plenty of healthy sleep in the process. Instead of thinking about the things you need to do tomorrow, try to enter the gratitude mode at bedtime. Think about the beautiful things that happened to you on that day.
“When I started counting my blessings, my whole life turned around.”
Jill, in the personnel office received an email requesting a listing of the department staff broken down by age and sex.
She sent this reply…”Attached is a list of our staff. We currently have no one broken down by age or sex. However, we have a few alcoholics.”
“In order to avoid being called a flirt, she always yielded easily.”
Charles, Count Talleyrand
I came home one night and my wife was crying.
I said, “what’s wrong?
She said, “I’m home sick.
I said, “This is your home.
And she said, “Yes, and I’m sick of it!
Depend on the rabbit’s foot if you will, but remember it didn’t work for the rabbit.
Jacob, Benny, Max and Hyman are out fishing early one Sunday morning. After an hour of fishing, Jacob suddenly breaks the silence and says, “You three have no idea what I had to do before I could come out fishing today. I had to promise my Rivkah that I would decorate our bedroom next Sunday.”
“That’s nothing,” says Benny, “I had to promise my Leah that I would build her a new terrace by the swimming pool.”
“Well,” says Max, “you both had it easy. I had to promise my Sharon that I would completely refit our kitchen with new mahogany cupboards and the latest state of the art equipment.”
But Hyman has not said a word so they ask him what he did to come out fishing. Hyman replies, “I just set my alarm for 5.30 am. When it went off, I gave my Faye a firm nudge and said, ‘Fishing or Sex?’ She replied, “Don’t forget your sweater.”
“We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence is therefore not an act, but a habit.”
The interviewer had informed the group of applicants for the sole position advertised at the bank, that there would be a verbal question after the written test to guarantee a winner in the event there were any ties.
After the applicants took the written part of the exam, it was announced by the interviewer, “Now it is time for the verbal part of your employment test.” “Can you tell me what ‘gross aggrandized annuity means’?”
One of the applicants for the position, said, as he got up to leave, “Certainly……It means I didn’t get the job.”
While the Swiss Army Knife has been popular for years, the Swiss Navy Knife has remained largely unheralded.
Its single blade functions as a tiny canoe paddle.
You don’t have to spend your money on expensive burglar alarms anymore.
Here is a cheaper way to deter burglars at your house. Just put up a few signs in well-placed locations….
Dear Mr. Butcher: starting tomorrow, please leave ten pounds of meat for Brutus. Six pounds only makes him angry and vicious!
Dear Mr. Mailman: we found bloodstains all over our mail. They must be yours. The next time you put mail into our slot, please be sure to keep all parts of your body well clear of all openings. P.S. – Any sign of that book we sent for, “The Care and Feeding of Wild Jungle Cats”?
Selma dear, don’t come in! Jake, the boa constrictor got loose again!
A man who doubts himself is like a man who would enlist in the ranks of his enemies and bear arms against himself.
He makes his failure certain by himself being the first person to be convinced of it.
Britain decided it was time to switch left lane traffic to right lane traffic, as everywhere in Europe. So they gather to plan the whole thing and nobody seems to come up with any viable solution, so they send out some help-me type faxes.
A couple of days later, answers come back. The French fax read: “As your neighbors, we are deeply touched you requested our help, etc. etc, but we have no idea at all how to do it”.
The German fax read: “We are Germany, the most organized country in Europe, but we have not had this problem before and we do not know how to handle it”.
The Polish fax read: “As you know, we are Poland, a country that has done a lot on the path towards democracy and economic resuscitation.” We have a great deal of experience in such transition processes. But, as to overcome the inherent difficulties and to avoid social problems, any and all transitions must be done gradually. “So, it is our proposal to handle the situation in three big steps. The first year, it should be mandatory only for the trucks to ride on the right lane.”
“Dance. Smile. Giggle. Marvel. TRUST. HOPE. LOVE. WISH. BELIEVE. Most of all, enjoy every moment of the journey, and appreciate where you are at this moment instead of always focusing on how far you have to go.”
Management is not responsible for duplicates from previous dailies. The editor is somewhat senile.
Ray’s Daily has been sent for more than fifteen years to people who want to start their day on an upbeat. If you have system overload because of our daily clutter, let me know and I will send you the information via mental telepathy. If you have not been getting our daily you can request to be added by e-mailing me at firstname.lastname@example.org. Back issues are posted at http://rays-daily,com/ currently there are more than 2000 readers from around the world.