October 31, 2019
“In all of living, have much fun and laughter. Life is to be enjoyed, not just endured.”
Gordon B. Hinckley
Today is Halloween in my country. It is a day when thousands of children will visit neighbors where they will receive treats. I just wish all the world’s children had the same opportunity. Our youth fades but those of us who enjoy our lives have learned to retain some of the joys from our childhood.
I have found that the happiest old folks I know have not given up on life but continue to invest in themselves and their wellbeing. I know that by staying engaged in what is happening while retaining a sense of humor keeps me in good spirits. The following abridged article is a good reminder that our happiness is up to us. So why don’t you join me as we enjoy our day.
10 things you should do every day to improve your life, according to science
- 1. Get out in nature – Being in nature reduces stress, makes you more creative, improves your memory and may even make you a better person.
- 2. Exercise – Other than health benefits too numerous to mention, exercise makes you smarter, happier, improves sleep, increases libido and makes you feel better about your body.
- Spend time with friends and family – Friends are key to improving your life. Share good news and enthusiastically respond when others share good news with you to improve your relationships. Want to instantly be happier? Do something kind for them.
- Express gratitude – It will make you happier. It will improve your relationships. It can make you a better person. It can make life better for everyone around you.
- Meditate – Meditation can increase happiness, meaning in life, social support and attention span while reducing anger, anxiety, depression and fatigue.
- Get enough sleep – You can’t cheat yourself on sleep and not have it affect you. Being tired actually makes it harder to be happy. Naps are great too. Naps increase alertness and performance, enhance learning ability and purge negative emotions while enhancing positive ones.
- Challenge yourself – Challenging your beliefs strengthens your mind. Increasing willpower just takes a little effort each day and it’s more responsible for your success than IQ.
- Laugh – People who use humor to cope with stress have better immune systems, reduced risk of heart attack and stroke, experience and live longer..
- Touch someone – Touching can reduce stress, and help you be persuasive. Hugs make you happier.
- Be optimistic – Optimism can make you healthier, happier and extend your life.
“Do what makes you happy, be with who makes you smile, laugh as much as you breathe, and love as long as you live.”
Rachel Ann Nunes
Men, it is important that you recognize the signs of menopause and then duck.
- You sell your home heating system at a yard sale.
- Your husband jokes that instead of buying a wood stove, he is using you to heat the family room this winter. Rather than just saying you are not amused, you shoot him.
- You have to write post-it notes with your kids’ names on them.
- The Phenobarbital dose that wiped out the Heaven’s Gate Cult gives you four hours of decent rest.
- You change your underwear after every sneeze.
- You’re on so much estrogen that you take your Brownie troop on a field trip to Chippendale’s.
Earlier today I was trying to daydream, but my mind kept wandering.
You know you’re from Iowa if:
*You’ve never met any celebrities.
*Your idea of a traffic jam is ten cars waiting to pass a tractor on the highway.
*You’ve seen all the biggest bands ten years after they were popular.
*You measure distance in minutes.
*East to you means Illinois.
*You know several people who have hit a deer.
*You’ve ridden the school bus for an hour each way.
*You’ve ever had to switch from “heat” to “A/C” in the same day.
*You think ethanol makes your truck “run a lot better.”
*You know what’s knee-high by the Fourth of July.
*Stores don’t have bags; they have sacks.
*You end your sentences with an unnecessary reposition. Example: “Where’s my coat at?” or “If you go to town I wanna go with you.”
*All the festivals across the state are named after a fruit, vegetable, grain, or animal.
“If you wait for the perfect moment when all is safe and assured, it may never arrive. Mountains will not be climbed, races won, or lasting happiness achieved.”
A kindergarten teacher was observing her class of children while they drew. She would occasionally walk around to see each child’s artwork.
As she got to one little girl who was working diligently, she asked what the drawing was.
The girl replied, “I’m drawing God.”
The teacher paused and said, “But no one knows what God looks like.”
Without missing a beat or looking up from her drawing, the girl replied, “They will in a minute.”
If truth is beauty, how come no one has her hair done in the library?
Dennis Miller said, being in show business has its drawbacks. The other day I was at one of my favorite eateries, and I got interrupted midbite by someone asking me, “Are you…?”
I said, “Yes, I’m Dennis Miller. Can we do this later?”
He said, “Do what later? I just wanted to know if you were finished with that ketchup.”
“Don’t ask yourself what the world needs; ask yourself what makes you come alive. And then go and do that. Because what the world needs is people who have come alive.”
Management is not responsible for duplicates from previous dailies. The editor is somewhat senile.
Ray’s Daily has been sent for more than fifteen years to people who want to start their day on an upbeat. If you have system overload because of our daily clutter, let me know and I will send you the information via mental telepathy. If you have not been getting our daily you can request to be added by e-mailing me at email@example.com. Back issues are posted at http://rays-daily,com/ currently there are more than 2000 readers from around the world.