August 9, 2018
“At the end of the day, let there be no excuses, no explanations, no regrets.”
I am looking forward to the next phase of my life with my wife as we prepare to move to a senior nurturing environment. I may have selective memory for I have few regrets generated by my past life, in fact I have few memories other than pleasant recollections.
I have always liked the following story which seems appropriate as we move away from now to new tomorrows.
I had not really planned on taking a trip this time of year, and yet I found myself packing rather hurriedly. This trip was going to be unpleasant and I knew in advance that no real good would come of it. This is my annual “Guilt Trip.”
I got tickets to fly there on “WISH-I-HAD” airlines. It was an extremely short flight. I got my “baggage,” which I could not check. I chose to carry it myself all the way. It was loaded down with a thousand memories of “what might have been.” No one greeted me as I entered the terminal to the Regret City International Airport. I say international because people from all over the world come to this dismal town.
As I checked into the “Last Resort” Hotel, I noticed that they would be hosting the year’s most important event — the annual “Pity Party.” I wasn’t going to miss that great social occasion. Many of the towns leading citizens would be there.
First, there would be the “Done” family; you know, “Should Have,” “Would Have” and “Could Have.” Then came the “I Had” family. You probably know old “Wish” and his clan. Of course, the “Opportunities” family; “Missed and Lost,” would be present. The biggest family there would be the “Yesterday’s.”
There are far too many of them to count, but each one would have a very sad story to share. Of course, “Shattered Dreams” would surely make and appearance. “It’s Their Fault” family would regale us with stories (excuses) about how things had failed in their life. Each story would be loudly applauded by the “Don’t Blame Me” and “I Couldn’t Help It” committee.
To make a long story short, I went to this depressing party, knowing full well there would be no real benefit in doing so. And, as usual, I became very depressed. But as I thought about all of the stories of failures brought back from the past, it occurred to me that this trip and subsequent “pity parties” COULD be cancelled by ME!
I started to realize that I did not have to be there. And I didn’t have to be depressed. One thing kept going through my mind, I CAN’T CHANGE YESTERDAY, BUT I DO HAVE THE POWER TO MAKE TODAY A WONDERFUL DAY. I can be happy, joyous, fulfilled, encouraged, as well as being encouraging.
Knowing this, I left Regret City immediately, and didn’t leave a forwarding address. Am I sorry for mistakes I’ve made in the past? YES! But there is no way to undo them.
So, if you’re planning a trip back to Regret City, please cancel all those reservations now. Instead, take a trip to a nice place called: “Starting Again.” I like it so much that I made it my permanent residence. My neighbors, the “Been Forgiven” and the “We’re Saved” are so very helpful. By the way, you don’t have to carry around the heavy baggage anymore either. That load is lifted from your shoulders upon arrival. But don’t take my word for it, find out for yourself.
At the end of the day let their be no regrets, only a desire to do more tomorrow than you did today.
My friend Stan Teplick was thrilled he could take his 87-year-old mother to finally see “Fiddler on the Roof,” especially since she came from one of the countless Anatevka-like Russian shtetls so many decades ago. He spared no expense: best seats, limo, the works.
After the show Stan eagerly asked: “So Mom, what did you think? Did it bring back any memories?”
His mother thought for a moment and then, giving the classic Jewish mother shrug and nod, said: “Yes. But I don’t remember that much singing.”
“Much wisdom comes from wise words, little from wisecracks, and less from wise guys.”
Answering Machine Messages
- (Very fast:) Hi, this is 904-4344. If you want to leave a message, please wait for the tone. If you want to leave your name and number, please press pound, press 3, then dial your name, then press 6 and dial your number. If you want to leave your name and just a message, press star, press 6, ask for extension 4443, then leave your name and message. If you want to leave your number and the time you called, please press star twice, spin in a circle, press 1 twice, talk loud and BEEP!
- This is Jeff, you’re not in now, so I’ll leave a message.
- The number you have reached, 226-0477, has been changed. The new number is 226-0477. (Yes, same number.)
- The party you dialed is not available. Your call is being diverted to an alternate number. Please stand by… (Ring…) The number you dialed must be dialed by your 0 operator. (Click, beep, dial tone.)
- Hello. (Pause.) Hello? (Pause.) Hello! (Pause.) No, it doesn’t look as if I’m in right now. Maybe you should leave a message at the beep or call me back later. BEEP. (Pause three seconds.) Just kidding, that wasn’t really the beep. Are you ready now? (or) (Long pause, sound of phone dropping, sleepy voice:) Argh! (Pause.) Hello… (Sound of phone dropping, then a yawn.) Sorry man… I’m a bit tired at the moment… (Long yawn.) I’m going back to sleep now… Just going to switch the answering machine on… (or) Hello? (Pause. Roommate’s voice:) C’mon, Matt, we’re gonna be late! — Hold on, there’s someone on the phone! Hello? — C’mon, dude! — Hello? Aaah, whatever… BEEP
Joy is not in things; it is in us.
A minister in a little church had been having trouble with the collections.
One Sunday he announced, “Now, before we pass the collection plate, I would like to request that the person who stole the chickens from Brother Martin’s henhouse please refrain from giving any money to the Lord. The Lord doesn’t want money from a thief!”
The collection plate was passed around, and for the first time in months everybody gave!
Happiness is in our own hearts. I have no regrets of anything in the past. I’m totally cheerful and happy, and I think that a lot of your attitude is not in the circumstances you find yourself in, but in the circumstances you make for yourself.
Management is not responsible for duplicates from previous dailies. The editor is somewhat senile.
Ray’s Daily has been sent for more than fifteen years to people who want to start their day on an upbeat. If you have system overload because of our daily clutter, let me know and I will send you the information via mental telepathy. If you have not been getting our daily you can request to be added by e-mailing me at email@example.com. Back issues are posted at http://rays-daily,com/ currently there are more than 2000 readers from around the world.