July 25, 2017
“A year from now you will wish you had started today.”
Before I forget let me recommend the movie The Big Sick to you. I saw it recently and loved it, I left the theatre with a warm feeling. It has gotten rave reviews and I understand why.
My day today will be spent again stimulating the health care economy. I will start with an early ophthalmologist appointment where we will continue to work to slow down my sight loss. I then will pick up my $300+ ProAir HFA Inhalation Aerosol that will last me for another month. Later in the day I will visit my dermatologist for some minor outpatient surgery. Other than reporting my vital signs to my heath watchers on Wednesday and Friday I will be done with the docs for this week.
The one truism in life is that it goes on and as it does our world changes. I cannot do all the things I use to do and I have the choice to either spend my days agonizing over that reality or making changes that allow me to enjoy the years ahead.
Here is an abridged article written by Angel Chernoff that can help folks like me as we adjust to our changing realities.
7 Effective Ways to Let Go and Move Forward
- Accept the truth and be thankful. – To let go is to be thankful for the experiences that made you laugh, made you cry, and helped you learn and grow. It’s the acceptance of everything you have, everything you once had, and the possibilities that lie ahead. It’s all about finding the strength to embrace life’s changes, to trust your intuition, to learn as you go, to realize that every experience has value, and to continue taking positive steps forward.
- Distance yourself for a while. – Sometimes you need to take several steps back in order to gain clarity on a situation. The best way to do this is to simply take a break and explore something else for a while
- Focus only on what can be changed. – Realize that not everything in life is meant to be modified or perfectly understood. Live, let go, learn what you can and don’t waste energy worrying about the things you can’t change. Focus exclusively on what you can change, and if you can’t change something you don’t like, change the way you think about it.
- Claim ownership and full control of your life. – No one else is responsible for you. You are in full control of your life so long as you claim it and own it. If you want to let go and move on with your life, you’re the only person who can make it happen.
- Focus inward. – It’s important to make a difference in the world. Yes, it’s important to help people, but you have to start with yourself. If you’re looking outside yourself to find where you fit in or how you can create an impact, stop and look inside yourself instead. Review who you already are, the lifestyle you’re currently living, and what makes you feel alive. Then nurture these things and make positive adjustments.
- Change the people around you when you must. – Some people come into your life just to strengthen you, so you can move on without them. They are supposed to be part of your memory, not your destiny. The bottom line is that when you have to start compromising your happiness and your potential for the people around you, it’s time to change the people around you.
- Focus on today. – You can decide right now that negative experiences from your past will not predict your future. Figure out what the next positive step is and no matter how small or difficult, and take it. Ultimately, the only thing you can ever really do is to keep moving forward. There’s no point in denying that things are different now, or being fearful of the next step. Life only moves in one direction—forward.
“It doesn’t matter where you are, you are nowhere compared to where you can go.”
A young honeymoon couple were touring southern Florida and happened to stop at one of the rattlesnake farms along the road. After seeing the sights, they engaged in small talk with the man that handled the snakes.
“Gosh!” exclaimed the new bride. “You certainly have a dangerous job. Don’t you ever get bitten by the snakes?”
“Yes, upon rare occasions,” answered the handler.
“Well,” she continued, “just what do you do when you’re bitten by a snake?”
“I always carry a razor-sharp knife in my pocket, and as soon as I am bitten, I make deep criss-cross marks across the fang entry and then suck the poison from the wound.”
“What, uh…what would happen if you were to accidentally sit on a rattler?” persisted the woman.
“Ma’am,” answered the snake handler, “that will be the day I learn who my real friends are.”
Learn from yesterday, live for today, hope for tomorrow.
“You know those shows where people can call in and vote on different issues? Did you ever notice there’s always like 18 percent that say ‘I don’t know’? It costs 90 cents to call up and vote–and they’re voting ‘I don’t know.’
“Honey, I feel very strongly about this. Give me the phone. (Into phone)… ‘I DON’T KNOW!’ (Hangs up looking proud.)
“Sometimes you have to stand up for what you believe you’re not sure about.”
Doug and Bill started a business from scratch. Through hard work hey built it into a very successful company with sales in the millions. Doug and Bill lived like kings. Almost overnight, things changed. Sales dropped sharply, customers disappeared and the business failed. Doug and Bill blamed each other and they parted on unfriendly terms.
Five years later, Doug drove up to a decrepit diner and stopped for a cup of coffee. As he was wiping some of the crumbs from the table, a waiter approached the table. Doug looked up and gasped, it was Bill.
“Bill,” he said, shaking his head. “It’s a terrible thing seeing you working as a waiter in a place like this.”
“Yeah,” said Bill, curling his lip, “But at least I don’t have to eat here.”
“Your life does not get better by chance, it gets better by change.”
Management is not responsible for duplicates from previous dailies. The editor is somewhat senile.
Ray’s Daily has been sent for more than fifteen years to people who want to start their day on an upbeat. If you have system overload because of our daily clutter, let me know and I will send you the information via mental telepathy. If you have not been getting our daily you can request to be added by e-mailing me at email@example.com. Back issues are posted at https://raykiwsp.wordpress.com/ currently there are more than 2000 readers from around the world.