July 13, 2017
The most important decision you are going to make is to be in a good mood.
You probably remember that Dale Carnegie was most famous for his book “How to Win Friends and Influence People”. I was reminded of his book as I remembered that I know the way to loose friends and fail to influence anybody and that is to stay in a bad mood.
If you are like I am you would much rather spend time with the bright side folks than the ones who are the constant fault finders, I have found it is absolutely useless to focus on my woes while spending time complaining to others. The thing I am grateful for is that I get to choose my mood and I always choose to be in a good one. I started to think about moods when I was sent the following article, which I have abridged somewhat.
How to Improve Your Mood Right Now
by Henrik Edberg
Appreciate what you have.
The simplest of my most commonly used pick-me-ups. I take about 2 minutes and sit in silence. I tell myself: OK, I might not feel so good right now, but what can I be grateful for and appreciate in my life? I usually come up with one simple thing like:
◾My tasty food.
◾That I have a roof.
That one thing opens up my mind. It redirects my thoughts from the negativity.
Then I build upon that one thing. I make mental jumps from the roof, to the warmth in our home, to the clean water in the glass beside my computer, to that I can work from home as the rain pours outside.
This changes my mood to a happier, warmer and more open one.
Act as you would like to feel.
Emotions work backwards too. So if I want to become more positive or enthusiastic then I act in the manner of a person who is positive or enthusiastic. I might not feel like it. But I do it as best as I can anyway. I may for example:
◾Think of the task I have in front of me as something exciting and fun.
◾Answer some emails or talk to someone in a positive and enthusiastic manner.
◾Assume rapport if I feel unmotivated, negative or nervous before some kind of meeting (assuming rapport is to think to myself that I am meeting one of my best friends just before the meeting and that puts me in the right mood and headspace).
Think for a minute and give someone a genuine compliment.
Here’s a fun one I use quite often and that will not only lift my own mood. Spend 1 minute on coming up with something you really and genuinely appreciate about someone in your life that is in the same room as you at some point during the day. Then tell him or her the genuine compliment you have come up with.
She or he will be happy. You’ll feel good about yourself and get positive feelings too from the now smiling, happy and complimented person. And so the mood for the both of you is changed for the better.
At first, I only laughed at myself. Then I noticed that life itself is amusing. I’ve been in a generally good mood ever since.
Marilyn Vos Savant
Mind Games Dogs Play With Humans
- After your humans give you a bath, DON’T LET THEM TOWEL DRY YOU! Instead, run to their bed, jump up and dry yourself off on the sheets. This is especially good if it’s right before your human’s bedtime.
- Act like a convicted criminal. When the humans come home, put your ears back, tail between your legs, chin down and act as if you have done something really bad. Then, watch as the humans frantically search the house for the damage they think you have caused.(Note: This only works when you have done absolutely nothing wrong.)
- Let the humans teach you a brand new trick. Learn it perfectly. Then the humans try to demonstrate it to someone else, stare blankly back at the humans. Pretend you have no idea what they’re talking about.
- Make your humans be patient. When you go outside to go ‘pee’, sniff around the entire yard as your humans wait. Act as if the spot you choose to go pee will ultimately decide the fate of the earth.
- Draw attention to the human. When out for a walk always pick the busiest, most visible spot to go ‘poo’. Take your time and make sure everyone watches. This works particularly well if your humans have forgotten to bring a plastic bag.
- When out for a walk, alternate between choking and coughing every time a strange human walks by.
- Make your own rules. Don’t always bring back the stick when playing fetch with the humans. Make them go and chase it once in a while.
- Hide from your humans. When your humans come home, don’t greet them at the door. Instead, hide from them, and make them think something terrible has happened to you. (Don’t reappear until one of your humans is panic-stricken and close to tears).
- When your human calls you to come back in, always take your time. Walk as slowly as possible back to the door.
- Wake up twenty minutes before the alarm clock is set to go off and make the humans take you out for your morning business. As soon as you get back inside, fall asleep. (Humans can rarely fall back asleep after going outside, this will drive them nuts!)
“In theory, there is no difference between theory and practice; In practice, there is.”
A woman called to make reservations, “I want to go from Chicago to Hippopotamus, New York”
The agent was at a loss for words. Finally, the agent “Are you sure that’s the name of the town?”
“Yes, what flights do you have?” replied the customer.
After some searching, the agent came back with, “I’m sorry, Ma’am, I’ve looked up every airport code in the country and can’t find a Hippopotamus anywhere.
The customer retorted, “Oh don’t be silly. Everyone knows where it is. Check your map!”
The agent scoured a map of the state of New York and finally offered, “You don’t mean Buffalo, do you?”
“That’s it! I knew it was a big animal!”
I travel light. I think the most important thing is to be in a good mood and enjoy life, wherever you are.
Diane Von Furstenberg
Management is not responsible for duplicates from previous dailies. The editor is somewhat senile.
Ray’s Daily has been sent for more than fifteen years to people who want to start their day on an upbeat. If you have system overload because of our daily clutter, let me know and I will send you the information via mental telepathy. If you have not been getting our daily you can request to be added by e-mailing me at email@example.com. Back issues are posted at https://raykiwsp.wordpress.com/ currently there are more than 2000 readers from around the world.