There is good in every year.”
Lailah Gifty Akita
In just a few weeks we will begin a new year, one that again will be filled with challenges and opportunities. We also need to decide if we are just going to be observers or participants. Far too many of us will throw up our hands in the belief that there is nothing we can do with today’s realities.
In truth we all have everyday opportunities to make positive moves. In my case I enjoy how many times in a day I get a chance to greet someone and even sometimes help them. It may not seem much but to me it is. I also get a chance to participate in the problem solving of some of the groups I support. All the little differences we make add up even leaving a feeling of accomplishment.
If you are one who will put together resolutions for next year you might consider these thoughts compiled by Tony Peeris from India.
Principles Of Life
- You would achieve more, if you don’t mind who gets the credit.
- When everything else is lost, the future still remains.
- Don’t fight too much or the enemy will know your art of war.
- The only job you start at the top is when you dig a grave.
- If you don’t stand for something, you’ll fall for everything.
- If you do little things well, you’ll do big ones better.
- Only thing that comes to you without effort is old age.
- You won’t get a second chance to make a first impression.
- Only those who do nothing do not make mistakes.
- Never take a problem to your boss unless you have a solution.
- If you are not failing, you’re not taking enough risks.
- Don’t try to get rid of your bad temper by losing it.
- Those who don’t make mistakes usually don’t make anything.
- There are two kinds of failures: Those who think and never do, and those who do and never think.
- Pick battles big enough to matter, small enough to win.
- All progress has resulted from unpopular decisions.
- Change your thoughts and you change your world.
- Understanding proves intelligence, not the speed of the learning.
- There are two kinds of fools in this world.: Those who give advice and those who don’t take it.
- The best way to kill an idea is to take it to a meeting.
- Management is doing things right. Leadership is doing the right things.
- Friendship founded on business is always better than business founded on friendship.
New Year’s resolutions often fail because toxic emotions and experiences from our past can sabotage us or keep us stuck with the same old thoughts, patterns and regrets.
A patient was waiting nervously in the examination room of a famous specialist. “So who did you see before coming to me?” asked the doctor.
“My local General Practitioner.”
“Your GP?” scoffed the doctor. “What a waste of time. Tell me, what sort of useless advice did he give you?”
“He told me to come and see you.”
We’ve begun to long for the pitter-patter of little feet – so we bought a dog. Well, it’s cheaper, and you get more feet.
A truck driver was driving along on the freeway. A sign comes up that reads, “Low Bridge Ahead.” Before he knows it, the bridge is right ahead of him and he gets stuck under the bridge. Cars are backed up for miles.
Finally, a police car comes up. The cop gets out of his car and walks to the truck driver, puts his hands on his hips and says, “Got stuck, huh?”
The truck driver says, “No, I was delivering this bridge and ran out of gas.”
“I have never killed a man, but I have read many obituaries with great pleasure.”
The following breeds are now recognized by the AKC:
Collie + Lhasa Apso = Collapso, a dog that folds up easy for transporting
Spitz + Chow Chow = Spitz-Chow, a dog that throws up alot
Pointer + Setter = Poinsetter, a traditional Christmas pet
Great Pyrenees + Dachshund = Pyradachs, a puzzling breed
Pekingnese + Lhasa Apso = Peekasso, an abstract dog
Irish Water Spaniel + English Springer Spaniel = Irish Springer, a dog fresh and clean as a whistle
Labrador Retriever + Curly Coated Retriever = Lab Coat Retriever, the choice of research scientists
Newfoundland + Basset Hound = Newfound Asset Hound, a dog for financial advisors
Terrier + Bulldog = Terribull, a dog that makes awful mistakes
Bloodhound + Labrador = Blabador, not a popular dog with CIA agents
Malamute + Pointer = Moot Point, owned by… oh, well, it doesn’t matter anyway
Collie + Malamute = Commute, a dog that travels to work
Deerhound + Terrier = Derriere, a dog that’s true to the end
Be on the alert to recognize your prime at whatever time of your life it may occur.
Mary announced that she was going to start a diet to lose some pounds she had put on recently.
“Great,” Sue exclaimed. “I’m ready to start a diet too. We can be dieting buddies and help each other out. And when I feel the urge to drive out and get a burger and fries, I’ll call you first.”
“Wonderful,” Mary replied. “I’ll go with you.”
I had a nostalgic English teacher who found the past perfect and the present tense?
She said: Soon after being transferred to a new duty station, my Marine husband called home to tell me he would be late again. He went on to say that dirty magazines had been discovered in the platoon’s quarters and they had to discipline the whole squad. I launched into a tirade, arguing that many men had pictures hanging in their quarters at our previous post, so his new platoon should not be penalized for something trivial. My husband calmly listened to my gripes and then explained, “Honey, dirty magazines: the clips from their rifles had not been cleaned.”
According to experts at the National Institute of Mental Health, depressed people die much sooner than everyone else.
Well, that’s just what depressed people need to hear! That should cheer them up!
Frank: Well, you’re certainly coming up in the world, playing golf with not one, but two caddies!
Ted: Oh, it was my wife’s idea.
Frank: Your wife?
Ted: Yeah. She thought I should spend more time with the kids.
Let our New Year’s resolution be this: we will be there for one another as fellow members of humanity, in the finest sense of the word.
Stay well, do good work, and have fun.
Management is not responsible for duplicates from previous dailies. The editor is somewhat senile.
Ray’s Daily has been sent for more than fifteen years to people who want to start their day on an upbeat. If you have system overload because of our daily clutter, let me know and I will send you the information via mental telepathy. If you have not been getting our daily you can request to be added by e-mailing me at email@example.com. Back issues are posted at https://raykiwsp.wordpress.com/ currently there are more than 2000 readers from around the world.