“Happiness depends upon ourselves.”
Every once in a while I have a day that sparkles and yesterday was one of those. The highlight was an infusion of humor, warmth and friendship which for me is the best possible medicine.
What happened was that a professional actress friend joined me for lunch. We discussed mutual friends, the upcoming Indianapolis live theatre scene and a wide range of observations.
My friend has performed in New York, on national TV, and stared in a wide variety of roles. Don’t tell her but I really enjoy the quality of her work for she brings a spirit to her roles that is infectious which always leaves me happy. And you know what? she periodically is willing to spend an hour or so with an old guy — me.
It that spirit I want to share with you the following edited article that reminds me of her.
Is the glass half empty or half full?
- Is the glass half empty or half full? Life and relationships work better when the glass is half full. Below are some simple yet specific steps you can take to cultivate happiness and see the glass half full, regardless of your relationship status.
- Be grateful – Create a sense of gratitude for what you have, for what is working, for what is wonderful and sweet in your life. A morning or evening gratitude list, written each day, can do wonders for helping you feel grateful.
- Take care of yourself – Identify the small things in life that make you feel good, and do one daily. A short walk, a few minutes of writing in your journal, a short meditation, watching the sunset. Whatever reminds you that you are a human being and not a human doing will improve your outlook on life.
- Be creative – Creativity and self-expression generate happiness. Schedule some creative time each day, even if it’s just a few minutes of writing, painting, sculpting, etc.
- Move – Moving our bodies generates feel-good hormones called endorphins. Move a little every day to stay happy.
- Get someone to take care of you – It feels good to be taken care of, even in small ways. Get a massage, a manicure, someone to carry your groceries, launder your clothes, or fix something for you.
- Contribute – Stand up for something that matters to you. Contributing, making a difference feels good. It boosts your self-esteem, your gratitude and feeling of well being.
- Be happy – No matter how many wonderful things you do to create a positive, happy, satisfied life, you could still end up unhappy. Ultimately, happiness, gratitude, a feeling of satisfaction is a choice. People often do not choose happiness. Many feel refusing to be happy will somehow get them what they want, like a child holding his breath. Holding your breath will not get your what you want. It is happiness that attracts.
“To be kind to all, to like many and love a few, to be needed and wanted by those we love, is certainly the nearest we can come to happiness.”
She said: Everybody’s a comedian. I called my local home improvement store for a simple piece of advice. “I know the sheetrock is nailed to the studs,” I said to the guy who answered the phone, “but how do I find the studs?”
“Put an ad in the personals column.” he suggested.
Life is a great big canvas, and you should throw all the paint on it you can.
The adult Sunday school class was discussing formal and informal prayer, when one man remarked, “I do some of my best praying while I’m driving.” From the back of the room, in a quiet voice, the man’s wife agreed, “I, too, do my best praying while you’re driving.”
Husband’s note on refrigerator to his wife:
Someone from the Guyna College called. They said Pabst beer is normal.
The rich, old, dying man called his lawyer to his bedside for the purpose of disposing of his worldly goods.
“How many children have you?” the lawyer asked.
“That, sir,” said the old-timer, “will be decided by the courts when my will is contested.”
We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, then, is not an act, but a habit.
Science facts as reported by students……
A vibration is a motion that cannot make up its mind which way it wants to go.
There are 26 vitamins in all, but some of the letters are yet to be discovered.
Genetics explains why you look like your father, and if you don’t, why you should.
Vacuums are nothings. We only mention them to let them know they’re there.
The cause of perfume disappearing is evaporation. Evaporation gets blamed for a lot of things people forget to put the top on.
I’m not sure how clouds are formed, but clouds know how to do it, and that’s the important thing.
Water vapor gets together in a cloud. When it is big enough to be called a drop, it does.
Rain is saved up in cloud banks.
It is so hot in some places that people have to live in other places.
Mushrooms always grow in damp places, which is why they look like umbrellas.
Momentum is something you give a person when they go away.
A monsoon is a French gentleman.
The word “trousers” is an uncommon noun because it is singular at the top and plural at the bottom.
To keep milk from turning sour, keep it in the cow.
Some people can tell what time it is by looking at the sun, but I have never been able to make out the numbers.
When planets run around and around in circles, we say they are orbiting. When people do it, we say they are crazy.
In some rocks, you can find the fossil footprints of fishes.
For asphyxiation, apply artificial respiration until the patient is dead.
Blood circulates through the body by flowing down one leg and up the other.
Thunder is a rich source of loudness.
The alimentary canal is located in the northern part of Indiana.
One of the main causes of dust is janitors.
The inhabitants of Moscow are called Mosquitoes.
A census taker is a man who goes from house to house increasing the population.
A city purifies its water supply by filtering the water and then forcing it through an aviator.
The spinal column is a long bunch of bones. The head sits on the top, and you sit on the bottom.
“Since you get more joy out of giving joy to others, you should put a good deal of thought into the happiness that you are able to give.”
Stay well, do good work, and have fun.
Management is not responsible for duplicates from previous dailies. The editor is somewhat senile.
Ray’s Daily has been sent for more than fifteen years to people who want to start their day on an upbeat. If you have system overload because of our daily clutter, let me know and I will send you the information via mental telepathy. If you have not been getting our daily you can request to be added by e-mailing me at firstname.lastname@example.org. Back issues are posted at https://raykiwsp.wordpress.com/ currently there are more than 2000 readers from around the world.