A friend is what the heart needs all the time.
Henry Van Dyke
Last Saturday I attended a celebration of a good friend’s graduation from Butler University. Our friendship over the years included many meals where we discussed the world, our thoughts and our lives. I really enjoyed these meetings as it allowed me to better know my friend and also allowed me to understand the world of a generation a lot younger than mine. I am hoping that as he goes on to the next phase of his life he will still have time for us to visit occasionally. Oh, by the way my good friend is one of my grandsons.
As I have aged I have come to understand just how important friendships are to our wellbeing. There are few pains worse than lonesomeness, I am grateful for all those have given me the gift of their friendship many who now only live in my memory. The good news is there are always new friends awaiting those who look for them. If you could use a few more here are some tips I picked up from the Very Wll blog that may help.
How to Make New Friends
- Before you try to make new friends, it is important to spend some time working on yourself. The more well-rounded a person you are, the easier it will be to talk with others. Brush up on current events, take up a new hobby; anything that you can do to become more comfortable with who you are will make it easier to make friends. Find out what you are passionate about in order to find like-minded people.
- The second step in making friends is finding potential friends. When looking for potential friends, the best places to start are also the easiest. Do you work with others? Do you know someone who has a large circle of friends? Could you join a group or organization to increase the number of people that you are in contact with?
It is important not to be too picky in the beginning. Anyone could be a potential friend; first impressions are not necessarily the best indicators of who could become a long-term friend. Consider asking a coworker to lunch, joining a book club at the library or volunteering at a local non-profit to meet new people and potential friends.
- Make sure to get contact information for the people that you meet. Whether it’s their cell phone number or a link to their social media pages, find a way to reach out to them.
- The most critical step in making friends is both accepting invitations and making plans with others. Do your best not to turn down any invitations. If you turn people down often enough they will stop asking you to do things. By the same token, you shouldn’t always expect the other person to make plans. Though making plans can be a challenging task for those with SAD, it is important to show others that you are interested in them and want to get together.
- Once you have begun to form friendships, it is important to stay in touch. Over time you will come to learn how often certain people stay in touch. Be sure to do your part to contact your new friends and make plans. With the ease of online communication, there isn’t any reason why you can’t keep in touch with those that you meet.
I cannot even imagine where I would be today were it not for that handful of friends who have given me a heart full of joy. Let’s face it, friends make life a lot more fun.
Charles R. Swindoll
A young married couple lived in a cheap housing complex. Their chief complaint was that the walls were paper-thin and that they had no privacy. This was painfully obvious when one morning the husband was upstairs and the wife was downstairs on the telephone. She was interrupted by the doorbell and went to greet her neighbor.
“Give this to your husband,” he said thrusting a roll of toilet paper into her hands. “He’s been yelling for it for 15 minutes!”
You know you’re getting older when your favorite pickup line is, “Do you come here often, and do you know CPR?
Fifteen days ago, I read that smoking can kill you; The next day I stopped smoking.
Twelve days ago, I read that too much red meat can kill you; The next day I stopped eating red meat.
Eight days ago, I read that drinking can kill you; the next day I stopped drinking.
Yesterday, I read that having sex can kill you; this morning I stopped reading.
The fact that some geniuses were laughed at does not imply that all who are laughed at are geniuses. They laughed at Columbus, they laughed at Fulton, they laughed at the Wright Brothers. But they also laughed at Bozo the Clown.”
The doctor that had been seeing an 80-year-old woman for most of her life finally retired. At her next checkup, the new doctor told her to bring a list of all her medicines. The young doctor’s eyes grew wide as he realized she had a prescription for birth control pills. “Mrs. Jones, do you realize these are birth control pills?
“Yes, they help me sleep at night.”
“I assure you, NOTHING in these could possibly help you sleep!”
She patted the young Doctor’s knee. “Yes, dear, I know that. But every morning, I grind one up and mix it in the glass of orange juice that my 16 year old granddaughter drinks. Believe you me, it helps me sleep at night.”
Don’t insult the alligator until after you cross the river.
She said: My husband and I were making our own funeral arrangements, and the director showed us into a room in which containers for ashes were on display.
After we looked at the choices, my husband asked if I had decided. I sighed. “Yes, the wood-finish one, as it will likely go into the ground.” After a moment’s pause, however, I continued. “But I really prefer the blue one. You know I always look good in blue.”
I may not be that funny or athletic or good looking or smart or talented…. I forgot where I was going with this.
They think we’re dumb, so they put too many directions on products. Like on the home pregnancy test, it says, “For use in the privacy of your own home.”
Oh, good, I was going to drive to a crowded shopping center.
Let us be grateful to people who make us happy, they are the charming gardeners who make our souls blossom.
Stay well, do good work, and have fun.
Management is not responsible for duplicates from previous dailies. The editor is somewhat senile.
Ray’s Daily has been sent for more than fifteen years to people who want to start their day on an upbeat. If you have system overload because of our daily clutter, let me know and I will send you the information via mental telepathy. If you have not been getting our daily you can request to be added by e-mailing me at email@example.com. Back issues are posted at https://raykiwsp.wordpress.com/ currently there are more than 2000 readers from around the world.