Happiness held is the seed; Happiness shared is the flower.
Here I go again, running behind with a series of early meetings this morning. So lets you and I go back and see what was going on in my world twelve years ago.
Ray’s Daily first published on October 8, 2003
I have often thought that it is the things we share together that brighten our lives. It may be the sunset we see together, or a book we both enjoyed, or our just spending time together getting through the day. I recently read something by Anthony de Mello, SJ that I think says it very well. he wrote:
A newly married couple said, “What shall we do to make our love endure?”
Said the Master, “Love other things together.”
I still believe that shared experiences are best; they are the fields where we grow the ties that bind.
Men of the noblest dispositions think themselves happiest when others share their happiness with them.
Thanks to Andy Rooney for the following:
As I grow in age, I value women who are over 40 most of all. Here are just a few reasons why:
- An over 40 woman will never wake you in the middle of the night to ask, “What are you thinking?” She doesn’t care what you think.
- If an over 40 woman doesn’t want to watch the game, she doesn’t sit around whining about it. She does something she wants to do. And it’s usually something more interesting.
- An over 40 woman knows herself well enough to be assured in who she is, what she is, what she wants, and from whom. Few women past the age of 40 give a darn what you might think about her or what she’s doing.
- An over 40 woman usually has had her fill of “meaningful relationships” and commitment. The last thing she wants in her life is another dopey, clingy, whiny, dependent lover.
- Over 40 women are dignified. They seldom have a screaming match with you at the opera or in the middle of an expensive restaurant. Of course, if you deserve it, they won’t hesitate to shoot you if they think they can get away with it.
- Over 40 women are generous with praise, often undeserved. They know what it’s like to be unappreciated.
- An over 40 woman has the self-assurance to introduce you to her women friends. A younger woman with a man will often ignore even her best friend because she doesn’t trust the guy with other women. A woman over 40 could care less if you’re attracted to her friends because she knows her friends won’t betray her.
- Women get psychic as they age. You never have to confess your sins to an over 40 woman. They always know.
- An over 40 woman looks good wearing bright red lipstick. This is not true of younger women.
- Over 40 women are forthright and honest. They’ll tell you right off you are a jerk if you are acting like one. You don’t ever have to wonder where you stand with her.
- Yes, we praise over 40 women for a multitude of reasons. Unfortunately, it’s not reciprocal. For every stunning, smart, well-coiffed hot woman of 40+, there is a bald, paunchy relic in yellow pants making a fool of himself with some 22-year-old waitress.
Ladies, I apologize.
A friend is one who comes in when the whole world has gone out.
When my cousin, Tom, was at the police academy, prior to joining Chicago’s finest, one of his instructors asked him during an oral exam, “What would you do if you had to arrest your own mother?”
He immediately replied, with conviction, “Call for backup.”
When you have accumulated sufficient knowledge to get by, you’re too old to remember it.
Recently we called a business phone number and heard the following: If you are calling from a touch-tone phone, press one now. If you are calling from a rotary phone, hang up and call back from a touch-tone phone.
Three monkeys sat in a coconut tree
discussing things meant to be.
Said one to the others, now listen you two,
there’s a rumor going round that can’t be true,
that man descended from our noble race
the very idea is a great disgrace.
No monkey has ever deserted his wife
starved her babies and ruined her life
and you’ve never known a mother monk
to leave her babies with others to bunk,
or pass from one onto another
till they scarcely know who is their mother.
Here’s another thing a monkey won’t do
go out at night and get on a stew
or use a gun or club or knife
to take some other monkey’s life
yes, man descended, the ornery cuss
but brother, he didn’t descend from us.
There was a woman who spent some months serving God in Kenya. On her final visit to a remote township she attended a medical clinic. As the Maasai women there began to sing together, she found herself deeply moved by their hauntingly beautiful harmonies. She wanted to always remember this moment and try to share it with friends when she arrived home. With tears flowing down her cheeks, she turned to her friend and asked, “Can you please tell me the translation of the words to this song?” Her friend looked at her an solemnly replied, “If you boil the water, you won’t get dysentery.”
“A day without laughter is a day wasted.”
When the new patient was settled comfortably on the couch, the psychiatrist began his therapy session. “I’m not aware of your problem,” the doctor said. “So perhaps, you should start at the very beginning.”
“Of course,” replied the patient. “In the beginning, I created the Heavens and the Earth…”
Many individuals have, like uncut diamonds, shining qualities beneath a rough exterior.
Decimus Junius Juvenalis (c. 60-127 a.d.)
Stay well, do good work, and have fun.
Management is not responsible for duplicates from previous dailies. The editor is somewhat senile.
This daily is sent only to special people who want to start their day on an upbeat. If you have system overload because of our daily clutter, let me know and I will send you the information via mental telepathy. If you have not been getting our daily you can request to be added by e-mailing me at firstname.lastname@example.org. Back issues are posted at https://raykiwsp.wordpress.com/ currently there are more than 2000 readers from around the world.