One resolution I have made, and try always to keep, is this: To rise above the little things.
One thing we procrastinators have learned is that the deadlines don’t slip and it is not long before the wall in front of you looks a lot bigger than it did from far away. Right now I hear the footsteps of the approaching New Year with a strong desire to not let it roll over me before I make a commitment to make 2012 my best year yet.
I was planning on listing a set of resolutions even knowing that in the past they have slipped away far too easily. I do have some serious commitments I feel I want to make and in some cases must make, such as:
- Sustained weight loss.
- Regular exercise.
- Realizing my limitations and using the capabilities I do have to the best of my ability.
- Being selective in my commitments while exceeding my colleague’s expectations.
- Being more understanding of the changes that accompany my wife, mine and my friends aging processes.
- Focusing on being friendly and kind to all I meet while continuing to acquire new friends.
- Appreciating what I have and not worrying about what I don’t have.
There will be more of course but you get the idea. After reading an article written by author William Anderson on Goals versus Resolutions I have decided to heed his advice. Here is an excerpt from the article he wrote:
This year, instead of making resolutions that you know are destined to fail, sit down and put to paper what you’d like to have happen if your efforts produced the results you want.
* If you knew this would be your last year on earth, what would you want to make sure that happens, no matter what? Write it down.
* If you were to live to a ripe old age, what do you need to do this year, to make sure your ripe old age is as healthy and happy as possible? Write it down.
* Are there relationships to be made, relationships to be repaired? Unsaid things that need to be said? Write them down.
* Are there things you’ve loved doing that you haven’t been doing? Singing, dancing, painting, gardening, hobbies, going to clubs and organizations you’ve liked? Write them down.
* Are there trips you’d like to take, or a vacation long overdue? Write it down.
* Are there good things you haven’t let yourself have because you’ve not felt ready or deserving? Maybe you’re ready. If you make efforts at the right things, you absolutely are deserving. Write it down.
* If you were to pay attention to all your needs, body, mind and spirit, what would you have yourself do? Write it down.
Don’t be vague about what you’d like in your life. Admit your desires and goals. Write them down. Usually, the only things that happen by accident are accidents. So, be clear. Identify where you’d like to go. Expect some good things. Maybe you’ll get lots. Imagine life unfolding for you this year in better ways than ever before. You’re older, wiser, moving forward in time and life, toward new potentials that are your birthright, a creative being in a creative world. Make a list and put it in a safe place.
Now, take this list of dreams out every once-in-a-while to review and dare to imagine them happening. Think of what you can do this month and this week to help bring them about. Let your heart desire what it needs and let it get excited about tomorrow. Celebrate every step forward. Respond to any reverses with renewed intent until moving forward becomes the entrenched habit.
Be always at war with your vices, at peace with your neighbors, and let each new year find you a better man.
Reasons why I never visit my rich friend:
Once while visiting a very rich friend, the maid approached me and…..
Question : “What would you like to have ..Fruit juice, Soda, Tea, Chocolate, Capuccino, Frapuccino,or Coffee?” Answer: ” Tea please”
Question : ” Ceylon tea, Indian tea, Herbal tea,Bush tea, Honey bush tea, Iced tea or green tea ?” Answer : “Ceylon tea ”
Question : “How would you like it ? black or white ? Answer: “white”
Question: “Milk, or fresh cream? Answer: “With milk ”
Question: “Goat’s milk, or cow’s milk” Answer: “With cow’s milk please.
Question: ” Would you like it with sweetener, sugar or honey?” Answer: “With sugar”
Question: ” Beet sugar or cane sugar?” Answer: “Cane sugar ”
Question:” White, brown or yellow sugar?”
Answer: “Forget about the tea, just give me a glass of water instead.”
Question: “Mineral water, tap water or distilled water?” Answer: “Mineral water”
Question: “Flavored or non-flavored?” Answer: “I think I’ll just die of thirst!!!!
I was a vegetarian until I started leaning toward the sunlight.
“I noticed you always carry my photo in your handbag. Why?” a husband asked his wife.
“When there is a problem, no matter how impossible, I look at your picture and the problem always disappears,” she said.
The man smiled. “You see how good I am for you?” he asked.
“Yes,” she said. “I see your picture and say to myself, ‘What other problem can there be that is worse than this one?'”
“One nice thing about egotists: they don’t talk about other people.”
A blonde is complaining to her friend what a horrible day at work she had; her boss had a heart attack and died!
Her friend says, “Why, that’s terrible! What did you do?”
The blonde shakes her head and says, “There was nothing I could do. He kept yelling at me to call 911, but he wouldn’t tell me the rest of the numbers!”
In taking revenge, a man is but even with his enemy; but in passing it over, he is superior.
Sir Francis Bacon
An old man strode in to his doctors office and said, “Doc, my druggist said to tell you to change my prescription and to check the prescription you’ve been giving to Mrs. Smith.”
“Oh, he did, did he?” the doctor shot back. “And since when does a druggist second guess a doctor’s orders?”
The old man says, “Since he found out I’ve been on birth control pills since February.”
Men often become what they believe themselves to be. If I believe I cannot do something, it makes me incapable of doing it. But when I believe I can, then I acquire the ability to do it even if I didn’t have it in the beginning.
Stay well, do good work, and have fun.
Management is not responsible for duplicates from previous dailies. The editor is somewhat senile.
This daily is sent only to special people who want to start their day on an upbeat. If you have system overload because of our daily clutter, let me know and I will send you the information via mental telepathy. If you have not been getting our daily you can request to be added by e-mailing me at email@example.com. Back issues are posted at https://raykiwsp.wordpress.com/ currently there are about 2000 readers from around the world.